Friday, November 04, 2011

Halloween Recap & Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe...by (Angela) Jean

It was exactly 4 years ago that we were house-hunting for the first time.
There was an MLS listing for a house that I loved, in a neighbourhood I had admired from afar, for years. What I had always loved most about these homes, was the fact that they had detached garages. I know it's a bit more of an inconvenience, not having a garage attached to your house, but the bonus of having an entire neighbourhood with no visible garages makes up for it. It somehow creates an intimate, old-world feel....and you see your neighbours more....for good or bad. But, I digress.
We drove along the street looking for the house in the ad, and were disappointed to find that it had already been sold...within one day. Bummer. As we drove away, we noticed a 'for sale by owner' sign on, in my opinion, an even cuter house. We drove directly to my inlaws' house (they lived close by), called the number and arranged a visit. We put an offer in the next day, it was accepted, and the house was ours.
Bing. Bang. Boom.
It was a very exciting time, of which I have many fond memories, but one thing I will always remember about that week, was how very seriously this street takes Halloween. I was struck with how every single house was decked out with grave yards, ghosts, witches and general spookiness. It was amazing.
Halloween night on our street is like a giant party. None of this walking-up-the-steps-to-ring-the-doorbell stuff on our street. Everyone waits on the porch for you, giant bowl of candy in hand. All the neighbours are out on the sidewalk chatting and laughing. Everyone dresses up....children and adults. Some houses play music, some have smoke machines, and everyone gets into it. And I'm not talking about a little street either, there are at least 30-40 houses. There is no other day like it all year.
It's all over for another year, but I thought I'd give you a recap of our Halloween, in photos. It was our best Halloween yet. The kids are finally of an age that they are really into it, and will actually go from house to house. The big one is still more hesitant than the little one, but I think his bravery spurs her on. It's cute.
Our beautiful pumpkins from Ferguson's Farm in St.Thomas
Very excited about carving.
Hmmm....what kind of pumpkin should I carve?
A cat! (quel grand surprise)

Otis needed to meditate about his pumpkin design
Off with their heads!!
the scooping

















The final product
Otis lost interest right after this point
Daddy was left to finish
Something tells me this wasn't Otis' original idea
On Halloween morning, our town has a parade for little kids down the main street. They get all dressed up, and the merchants give out candy. It's a bit of a crazy zoo of strollers, but a cute sight none-the-less. We went with my friend Sarah and her daughter Maddie.                     














  
This must be what it feels like for Kim Kardashian and Lindsay Lohan when they show up on the red carpet wearing the same dress. How embarrassing.
Lollipop.

Later that same day....
Our across the street neighbours. See what I'm talkin about?
Our next-door neighbours' house
Now for our costumes!
Mimi as Snow White
The Real Snow White
Otis as Murray Wiggle, the guitar-playing Wiggle. I made the Wiggles patch on the shirt with fabric paint. I was happy with how well it turned out.
The Real Murray Wiggle

Shawn as DJ Lance Rock from Yo Gabba Gabba, the coolest kids' show around. The costume was purchased, but I did make the ghetto blaster myself.
Complete with Muno, Foofa, Plex, Brobee and Toodie!
The real DJ Lance
And me? Well, I was a witch. A very scary witch.


Trick or Treat!
Happy Halloween from all of us! Hope you all had fun!
Oh wait....I promised you a recipe, didn't I? Right!
Ok, well that's easy. Here's what I did with our pumpkin seeds this year.

In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin seeds (most of the gunk removed but I think leaving a little adds some nice sweet pumpkin flavour), a few tablespoons of vegetable oil (I use canola, but you could use olive, or even butter if you want to), 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

Spread mixure in a thin layer, on a baking sheet covered in foil, and bake at 350 degrees farenheit for about 30-40 minutes, or until sizzling and crispy.
Mmmmm......delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment