Friday, May 06, 2011

Flora Interrupta...by (Angela) Jean

If you live anywhere near me, and from checking out our stats page I can tell that most of you do, (but a special shout out to our far-away readers--and I mean you: Hungary, China, UK, Germany, India, Singapore & New Zealand) you will have spent the last several weeks, if not months, complaining about the weather.

We have had a dismal, if not non-existent, spring. I can count the number of beautiful days on one hand, and the rest of them have been cold, and grey, and rainy...and did I mention grey?....and rainy? Sigh.

To illustrate how truly ugly it has been, I have prepared a photo comparison of the flora in my garden last year vs this year.

March 28, 2010
March 27, 2011

April 3, 2010
April 3, 2011
April 19, 2010
May 3, 2010-Lilacs in full bloom, tulips & daffodils almost finished for the season
May 5, 2011-Lilacs haven't even started to bloom, only a couple of tulips are out
May 3, 2010-gorgeous white double-bloom lilacs in all their glory

May 3, 2010-My favourite, classic light purple lilac
May 5-2011-The very same branch this year

May 3, 2010-leaves coming out on the weeping mulberry

May 5, 2011-Not a leaf bud in sight

May 3, 2010-Giant tulips
May 5, 2011-No flowers, just the kid
 And thus concludes our photo retrospective of the spring that never quite sprung.....yet.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah... this spring has been dark and it has made it hard not to have a dark mood. And worse of all, I planted my seeds too early (although the same time I plant them every year) and now I will have to start all over again. Sigh.... I really hope this last few days of nicer weather is a sign of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo diary! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara Lattanzio9 May 2011 at 22:35

    My lilacs always bloom by Alexander's birthday, so they only have a week left - hope they make it in time!

    ReplyDelete