Monday, March 28, 2011

The Nicest Place I've Ever Been...by (Angela) Jean

This week's joint topic was chosen by Ruth and I've had a little more than 24 hours to mull it over. I've been running through all the exotic places I've traveled....cough-none-cough...trying to find a beautiful place to tell you all about.
I considered telling you about when I went to this place.
Buckingham Palace
It was pretty monumental...but the nicest place I've ever been? Nope.
I'd be crazy if I didn't consider this place.
Banff Centre for the Performing Arts
When I was here in 2000 to visit Shawn during his residency, it felt like every direction I pointed my camera was post-card worthy. It was my only time out west and my first time seeing real live mountains. Still not the nicest place I've ever been.
I have some favourite places I'd love to tell you about. Like here...
Grand Bend, Ontario
where I've been going since I was a kid, and where the sunsets over Lake Huron never cease to take my breath away.
Or here...
view from Centreville on Toronto Island
a place I only started going to as an adult, but am now able to experience through the eyes of my kids.

Or what about all the special memories I have of this place?
Like my first time in 1997, sitting in the very very back row seeing a pre-season game against the Oilers. Or watching the 3rd- last game ever played there, when Max and I had seats in the golds behind the net to see the Bruins....great, great memories, but not the nicest place I've ever been.

I was really at a loss. What about all the amazing places I wish I had been? You know, the places on my bucket list. Like....here

Noordwijk aan zee
where my mother was born, or here
Montefalcone nel sannio
where my father was born.
Listen, I'd be a liar if I pretended I was some kind of world traveler. I wish I was, but so far my life hasn't gone that way. After much deliberation, I have decided that the nicest place I have ever been is 76 Grenville Street, Toronto ON, 3rd floor, L&D room #6. I've been there twice.
Once, in 2007.
and once in 2009...
I don't know if you've ever been there. They don't even deliver babies there any more. The room was small and cramped, the decor seriously outdated. No breathtaking views...and as far as I recall no windows at all. No high tech TV screens or jacuzzi tubs. Nothing fancy at all, but still, by far, the nicest place I've ever been.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice post! I was brought here by your picture of Montefalcone: I do not live there anymore, but that's where I come from. What's your father's (family) name?

    ReplyDelete